Our 2019 Make a Miracle conference, a benefit for our registered supporters, welcomed those with Aniridia Syndrome and their family members (parents, grandparents, etc.), and the top doctors and researchers in the field. The AFI worked diligently to find funding and sponsorships to offset the expensive costs of the conference to help minimize the registration fees for our supporters while giving them priceless benefits.
The Make a Miracle members’ conference and social was in Blue Ash, Ohio on July 31st-August 4th. There were several places to visit while in Blue Ash, including the Cincinnati Zoo, the Cincinnati aquarium, Splash Cincinnati water park, and more.
Highlights of the conference included:
- Educational presentations by medical and research experts on the latest treatments, research, and clinical trials, with time to ask questions.
- Special guests during the “Aniridia Boot Camp Basics” (This covered the basics and general information for attendees to understand the more advanced talks by the experts).
- “See the Experts” clinic (examinations by the experts in Aniridia Syndrome).· A genetic testing event held during the clinic.
- A welcome ice cream social
- Several social events, support, and roundtable topic forums with others who understand the challenges of living with Aniridia Syndrome and its associated conditions. Special group gatherings for grandparents, feeding issues, adopted children with Aniridia Syndrome from outside USA, parents, adults with Aniridia Syndrome, etc. (all based on conference registration data).
- An exciting professional child care program for the kids while parents attended sessions. Activities for all ages, supervised park time by the hotel and a field trip for school-age children, and a pajama party during the evening of the gala. It was a great way for children to meet others and develop lifelong friendships.
- A teen “social” lounge with video games, a field trip, outdoor games, and a special presentation. It was an awesome way for teens to find others who know what they are going through, and with the internet, they can keep in touch.
- The Make a Miracle Gala Dinner, Silent Auction, and Social, along with entertainment and awards.